Sign up to our newsletter now and get 10% off on your next online order!
December 10, 2019Ere Perez
swedish saffron buns recipe
Looking for a nice and vegan Christmas recipe to make your holiday sparkle? We've got you covered with this ‘Lussekater’ recipe, Swedish saffron buns, by Sofia Tegnefur from The Nordic Kitchen.
"Hi there! I’m Sofia. I’m a plant-based food stylist & photographer, living in Stockholm (Sweden) together with my boyfriend Kalle and our son, Adam. I am a solopreneur and spend most of my days creating recipes and photographing food.
I love early mornings, blueberries, drawing, cinnamon rolls, strawberries, cashew butter, dahlias and dark chocolate. I drink my coffee black and real strong. I almost always wear only black. I am a minimalist and I’m allergic to clutter. Russel Crowe is my favorite actor. I love the Nordic moody light and I dream about living in a house with a big garden, where I can grow my own vegetables, fruits and flowers. Nature is my biggest source of inspiration and I love to use natural materials in both my home and my work.
Here is the recipe:
VEGAN ”LUSSEKATTER” – SWEDISH SAFFRON BUNS - makes 40 buns
◦ 50 g fresh yeast
◦ 150 g vegan margarine
◦ 1 g saffron
◦ 1 1/2 dl granulated sugar
◦ 5 dl | 500 ml plant milk
◦ 1/2 tsp salt
◦ 15 dl | 900 g wheat flour
◦ 3-4 tbsp melted margarine for brushing
◦ 80 Raisins
◦ 1-2 dl Mulled wine
1. Crumble the yeast into a large baking bowl.
2. Melt the margarine.
3. Grind saffron and 1 tbsp granulated sugar in a mortar and pestle, and add it to the melted margarine.
4. Add the plant milk to the margarine and reheat to 37°C.
5. Add a little of the margarine to the yeast and stir until completely dissolved.
6. Now add the rest of the margarine, sugar and the salt and stir together.
7. Stir in most of the flour and work the dough for about 10 minutes.
8. Let the dough rise covered until it has doubled in size, this takes about 45 minutes.
9. Place the dough on a floured surface and work it for a minute or so. Add more flour if needed.
10. Divide the dough into 40 equally large pieces.
11. Roll out each piece of dough so that it looks like a long snake, about 1 cm in diameter.
12. Curl the ends (in opposite directions), forming an ”S”.
13. Place the buns on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and repeat with the rest of the dough. Don’t make the buns too large, since they’ll rise to twice the size in the next step. Also, leave some space between them on the sheet.
14. Let the buns rise (covered) for about 30 minutes.
15. Heat the oven to 225°C.
16. Soak the raisins in the mulled wine. Set aside while the buns are rising.
17. Brush the buns with melted margarine and put a raisin in each end of the buns.
18. Bake in the middle of the oven for about 10 minutes (one sheet at a time).
19. Let cool under a kitchen towel before serving.
20. Freeze the leftover buns as soon as cooled down, it’ll prevent them from becoming dry."
Recipe and photographs by Sofia Tegnefur, The Nordic Kitchen : If you want to see more of her life in Sweden, you can follow her on Instagram (@thenordickitchen) and read her blog (https://www.thenordickitchen.com).
“i’ve just discovered you and i am obsessed! i just bought your cypress face oil and it smells incredible and i love it and i am very difficult to please.”
“moringa all-beauty crème is all I ever wanted in a cream and so much more!”
“i have never had so many compliments on my skin as i have when wearing this highlighter!
Emily, USA – Blogger
“this is the ONLY mascara i’ve ever found that holds the curl and gives length and volume that lasts all day with no smudging or flaking! i’m obsessed!”
“…i love the natural colours and texture of this makeup, and that you are not bamboozled by too many shades… it is the best makeup and skin care i have ever tried!”
“the concealer covers anything and it lasts all day. it's all on-camera quality. i 100% recommend. it’s true love.”
Geraldine Hakewill, Actress
“i love Ere Perez's products not only because they perform, but because i know they are good for my body, mind and soul. i am very particular about what i let touch my skin which is why i feel great using Ere Perez.”
Melissa Ambrosini – author
“the best vegan mascara I have tried. it does not budge and it's bold and black. my personal favourite but also a staple in my professional makeup kit.”
Liv Lundelius, MUA
“i love this company. One of the great pioneers of high performance, natural make-up that is affordable and beautifully packaged. i am always so happy to share the Ere Perez range with my readers and students as an example of a company built to do right by people and planet.”
Alexx Stuart – Author
“i love the Ere Perez highlighters, bronzers, tinted lip balms and eyebrow pencils. they look great even under the scrutiny of digital media, whether amped up for glamour or toned down for natural beauty they glow on the skin and don't cause breakouts”
Wendy DE WAAL, TV MUA
“the Carrot Colour Pots have the most beautiful creamy texture that blends seamlessly into the skin, while enhancing its appearance. harmony is my go-to, the perfect dusty rose shade!”
Taylor Bronsky – Blogger
“i absolutely love the carrot pots - great texture and pigment that you can wear intense or sheer. they feel great on the skin and have great longevity.”
Lou Dartford – MUA
“i haven't often come across a brand like Ere Perez. it is honest, healthy and high quality Australian natural make-up at its finest”