summer loving recipe
Check out Lorien Waldron’s yummy recipe, perfect for summer!
Hot summer days call for light meals that are easy to digest and super easy to make! These delicious vegan gluten-free coriander zucchini fritters are a real treat and are a fantastic source of plant-based protein to enjoy with your summer salads, soups and as a yummy snack to take with you to the beach.
Fresh coriander is one of nature’s summer super-foods known in Ayurvedic nutrition to have a cooling, purifying effect on the blood and therefore the health and radiance of our skin. Keeping your blood healthy and clean through good nutrition, hydration and a healthy daily routine is the best beauty pill you can take to look and feel great at every age.
My top tips for healthy skin and vibrant energy this summer are:
Make sure you keep your body well hydrated by carrying a large BPA free re-usable water bottle with you everywhere you go. For most teens and adults, 1.5-2 litres of water each day is the perfect amount to flush unwanted toxins and maintain healthy fluids for clarity of mind and brain function.
Enjoy plenty of water-rich fresh organic fruits and vegetables such as zucchini, lettuce, cucumber, leafy greens, fresh herbs, fresh coconut water, watermelon, papaya, fresh berries, bananas, kiwi’s and pomegranate.
Aside from keeping your body well hydrated on the inside, it’s important to hydrate your largest organ, your skin from the outside.
Make sure you moisturize and nourish your skin after sun exposure or showering with an organic and chemical free body butter, moisturizer or oil such as almond, coconut or cold pressed black sesame.
Summer Loving ~ Spiced Coriander & Zucchini Fritters
Serves: 4 / Time: 20 minutes
◦ 1 cup besan (chickpea) flour
◦ 1 cup room temperature water
◦ 2 tsp cumin seeds
◦ ¼ tsp turmeric powder
◦ 1 tsp sea salt
◦ ¼ tsp black pepper
◦ 1 medium-large zucchini, grated
◦ 1 small red onion, very finely chopped
◦ 2 cups finely chopped fresh coriander
◦ coconut oil for cooking
1. Sift besan flour into a mixing bowl and smooth out any clumps. Add 1 cup of room temperature water and stir vigorously to create a smooth consistency.
2. Add spices; cumin seeds, turmeric powder, a few cracks of black pepper and 1 tsp of sea salt. Add zucchini, red onion and fresh coriander. Stir ingredients together to form a chunky batter.
3. Warm 1 tsp of ghee or coconut oil in a pan and scoop fritter mix into centre of the pan to cook.
4. When little bubbles appear on the surface, flip and cook other side until both sides are golden brown. Continue to cook patties and serve with salad, subji, soup or enjoy with a little date chutney.
Recipe from my e-book, ‘Simple Ayurveda in the Kitchen – a 108 page lifestyle e-guide to intuitive eating’, available via this link: www.WholesomeLovingGoodness.com/ebook
To find more about Lorien and WholesomeLovingGoodness: