As part of our collaboration with Goodnessme box, we're happy to share this interview of GoodnessMe Box Founder, Peta Shulman.
What was it that drove/inspired you to create the Goodnessme box?
When I was 21 what began as the flu resulted in three months of bed-rest experiencing constant headaches, heavy and achy limbs, low energy, fatigue and overall a low immune system. I saw a number of doctors during this time but received no real answer to the cause of the problem.
I eventually got well enough to start work in a remarkable PR role as a publicist looking after clients in the health and wellness space. The world of integrative health and wellness opened up to me – speaking to hundreds of health practitioners, attending integrative health conferences, working with the latest health foods and supplements and learning about the movement of prevention. It became clear to me that what we put in our bodies, how active we choose to be and how we manage our stress plays a fundamental role.
The problem was, I was still feeling unwell every other week. Functioning with a low immune system became my everyday and I accepted it as normal. It was the ninth time I had a cold in a 12 month period and I was told to go on yet another antibiotic. After further investigation a doctor discovered I was suffering from an autoimmune condition and as a result a very low immune system.
Changing my food choices played a significant role in getting better. I began to cut out all processed and refined foods, only eating wholefoods free from artificial ingredients. I also eliminated inflammatory foods from my diet including gluten and refined sugar and began to take measures to look after my gut health after learning that over 70% of the immune system is located in our gut.
My health journey cemented the idea of GoodnessMe Box, a health food sampling box delivered monthly to help discover the latest and greatest foods on the market designed to get people excited about living well. I loved the concept of receiving health food goodies to your door – surprise and delight each month! Think the newest superfoods, wholefood bars to eat on the go, nut butters, kale chips, herbal teas, raw chocolates, natural protein powders, gluten-free baking mixes or gluten free mueslis. We now provide a bonus natural beauty item in each box each month, which is something I’m becoming more and more passionate learning about!
Starting a business takes time, sacrifice and energy. If I had not taken charge of my health there is no chance I would be able to have the stamina to start and continue GoodnessMe Box.
What do you do to nurture my health while running a very busy business?
Today my health has significantly improved. When I look back on how I once functioned day-to-day I always think, there is nothing as good as healthy feels. I wake up with energy and a clear mind. I know my limits and am conscious that lack of sleep can push my immune system over the edge. When running a business I need to put my health first to ensure I am at the top of my game every day. To nurture my health these are my non-negotiables:
◦ Read the Food Label – It sounds simple but learning to read the ingredients and nutritional panel of foods at the start of my health journey was empowering. There are some clever marketing techniques out there so it is important I know exactly what I am putting into my body. I Shop for food as close to its natural state as possible and search for foods that are GMO-free. This forms our philosophy at GoodnessMe Box.
◦ 8 hours sleep– sleep is absolutely critical to my overall health and wellness. I find if I take the time to replenish and recharge it makes all the difference in the world. I know with 8 hours sleep I function at my best.
◦ Bone Broth– I have a small mug each and every morning to look after my gut health.
◦ Probiotic and Zinc– I take my probiotic and zinc twice every single day.
◦ Follow an anti-inflammatory diet – I eliminate inflammatory foods including gluten and refined sugar and eat plenty of protein, healthy fats, vegetables and unrefined “whole” carbohydrates.
◦ See a health practitioner– I am a big believer in not self-prescribing or self-diagnosing be it with supplements or cutting out food groups. Food can be so powerful to help heal. I see my health practitioners regularly as our bodies are constantly changing.
◦ Make time for friends andfamily– Relationships are critical for support and for emotional wellbeing and I’m lucky to have a very tight network around me.
Are there any specific characteristics you look for in a product/company when choosing what to include in your box to ensure they match your philosophy?
Absolutely, we are very strict when it comes to deciding what we place in each GoodnessMe Box. Together with a team of health practitioners we fill the boxes each month with only the highest quality health products that are natural and GMO-free. We take it one step further and all the products in the boxes are required to fall in at least TWO of these categories: organic, sustainable, raw, gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free or vegan.
We seek products free of artificial sweeteners, artificial preservatives, food additives, synthetic trans fats, artificial flavours, artificial colours, Monosodium Glutamate (MSG), and High-Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS).
To learn more about Ere Perez, click here.
Sigue aquí el blog en español.