Have you heard about reusable bags for fruit and vegetables? These aren’t the bags you use for your general shopping, they are an alternative to the rolls of small plastic bags you see in the fruit and veggie aisles in the supermarket. Just imagine how many of these little plastic bags you get through in a year and they all end up in landfills and waterways. Reusable fruit and vegetable bags are a great option if you want to save the environment!
It’s rare to see recycled produce bags available in the shops, so you tend to have two options: make them yourself or purchase produce bags. Let’s take a look at both of these options, so you can decide which strategy is best for your family.
DIY reusable bags for fruit and vegetables
1. If you are handy with a sewing machine and over-locker, you can probably run up enough DIY reusable bags for your family in one afternoon.
2. Just remember that the material needs to be machine washable and not fall to pieces in a very hot wash cycle.
3. It also needs to be right for the food, so whilst netting is fine for fruit and vegetables, it’s not good for flour or sugar.
4. Thin material is better than thicker material, because when you weigh the food at the checkout, you don’t want to pay extra for the weight of your bags!
Purchasing a set of reusable bags is a great investment, and a small step towards reducing your plastic. you can purchase them online, or in health food stores. Or check out friends of Ere Perez, The Swag.
The Swag reusable bags for fruit and vegetables
1. These produce bags keep your fruit and veggies fresh for 2 weeks or more thanks to the unique and patented 3-layer design of our bags that help to keep your fruit and veggies living and breathing inside the bags.
2. All you need to do is keep the bag moist and you have the perfect environment for happy and healthy produce. Healthy fruit and veggies are packed with nutrients, so the longer you keep your fruit and veggies healthy and happy, the more nutrients you have in your diet.
3. Storing them in plastic bags in the fridge is not an environment that helps your produce to thrive - instead it suffocates the produce, making it sweat, reducing their nutrient value and leaves you with wrinkled, rotten veggies instead of lovely fresh produce.
4. Handmade from three unique layers of 100% unbleached, unseeded cotton, when dampened down, The Swag allows your fresh produce to breathe and hydrate which keeps your produce fresh and happy for weeks. 5. Simply machine wash them every two to three weeks and your Swags should last for years!